Remote Play is a feature that has been present in Playstations for a long while. But despite being available on the PS4 for quite some time, not many people know about the functionality. So, without further ado, here’s everything you need to know about PS4 Remote Play and how to use it on your PC, Mac, Xperia smartphone or PS Vita.
What do you need for PS4 Remote Play?
The following are needed to set up the option.
- PS4 with System Software 3.50 or later
- DualShock 4 controller
- USB cable
- PlayStation Network account
- Internet connection with at least 5Mbps download and upload speeds, ideally 12Mbps
- Device to access PS4 Remote Play (PC, Mac, applicable Android or PS Vita)
- A headset – if you want to talk to anyone over voice chat
How to enable PS4 Remote Play
To use Remote Play, one has to first activate it on the PS4. head to Settings > Remote Play Connection Settings and make sure the ‘Enable Remote Play’ check box is ticked. While not completely necessary, making your PS4 the primary PS4 will greatly simplify the task. head to Settings > PlayStation Network/Account Management > Activate as Your Primary PS4 and select Activate.
A third option we need to activate is the feature that allows the PS4 to stay on even in rest mode. To enable the option, just head to Settings > Power Save Settings > Set Features Available in Rest Mode. Enable ‘Stay Connected to the Internet’ and ‘Enable Turning On PS4 from Network’
How to use PS4 Remote Play on PC or Mac
This process is unbelievably simple too.
- Download and install the PS4 Remote Play client for PC and Mac from the Sony website.
- Turn on your PS4.
- Connect your DualShock 4 controller to your PC or Mac with a micro USB cable.
- Launch PS4 Remote Play on your PC or Mac, and select Start.
- Sign in with your PlayStation Network account – this must be the same account as what was used to sign in on your PS4.
- The app will search for your PS4 and will link the two machines.